The history of the Kaštieľ Kubínyi dates back to the first half of the 17th century, when Beňadik Kubínyi built a renaissance mansion with large park on foundations of older building’s ruins. Typical onion-shaped towers, however, were built during the Baroque rebuilding that took place in the middle of the 18th century. In the 19th century, the building was modified in classicistic style, and on the façade of the mansion the coats of arms of the Kubínyi and Adda families were added. In the half of the 20th century (1948), the mansion was taken away from Kubínyi’s family. In 1989 was Kubínyi family again able to get the mansion back into their possession, but for the lack of funds for maintaining the building was family forced to sell it. Since then, the mansion has been dilapidated under the ownership of several people, until the current owners have bought it in very poor condition in 2010.
Nowadays, besides the historic mansion and the English park, the Amalia Restaurant is located in the building of the former stable.
The Kubínyi family
The Kubínyi‘s belong to the oldest Liptov families. Their ancestral history dates back to the end of the 13th century. The founder of the genus is Hudko or Hudkonth, who was given three parts of land named Revúca, which were situated on both of the sides of the river Revúca, for his faithful services in 1233 from Ondrej II. Hudko had two sons named Juche (or Ite or Iwche) and Gurke (or Synik). Juche became the progenitor of the Kubínyi family and Gurke became the progenitor of Meško family. In the 14th century, the town of Ružomberok began to develop intensively near their property in Revúca, and therefore the magister Donč exchanged the property of sons of two brothers in Revúca for the property in Vyšný Kubín. This is evidenced by the document from year 1325.
The nobility members supported the development of architecture by building their manor houses and were also the carriers of education. They have studied at upper secondary schools and universities in Hungary and, if they could afford it, also abroad. In their residences in the 18th century, Latin, German, Hungarian, and French were commonly used. Some have devoted themselves to music, fine arts, poetry and literature, and have kept precious ancestral history documents and libraries in their homes.
You will find us
Mjr. Archipova 25
026 01 Vyšný Kubín